Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Broken Hearts

One thing I didn't realize, back when I was all aglow in the perspiration of my first pregnancy, was that once I gave birth to my little angel I would be made to celebrate Valentine's Day. I have never liked Valentine's Day. I think those of us who are happily partnered really ought to be celebrating our blissful love on a daily basis without the aid of a holiday. Those who are without a true love on any given Valentine's Day are merely reminded of said fact. All. Day. Long. Also I don't like that all the advertisements for chocolate and jewelry seem to indicate that only women should be the recipients of gifts on this day that supposedly celebrates love. Why would that be? I object.

Where was I? Right, having to embrace this nonsense. Again with the boxes of themed cards. I never knew what to do with those. We'd get an entire box full of them at our classroom celebration and then what? Was I supposed to save them? And what about the box I so artfully decorated as a classroom project prior to the methodical exchange of these cards? Was I supposed to save it too? It was confusing. I ended up throwing it all away every year. It started right away with Kate, though, and now there are two of them. Kate, not surprisingly, wanted princess cards. Sarah insisted on Spider-Man cards.


This year I decided to get into the spirit of the thing. I got excited when I saw silicone muffin forms shaped like hearts in the dollar section at Target. I should have known how it would all play out when we got to the check-out and the forms were $2.50 not the "dollar" the name of the area suggests. I know what you're thinking - $2.50 is still an amount of dollars, but I remain indignant because with that logic the entire store is the dollar section. Name has lost all meaning. Out of protest I only bought 2 instead of 4. I think I made my point.


Kate's class's VD party is tomorrow because, mysteriously, Friday is a "non-Pre-K day". So, her heart-shaped cupcakes needed to be made tonight. Dang if those things didn't stick in those bait `n switch silicone forms! That first one came out like so many first pancakes. I was forced to eat it on the spot, of course. That made me feel kind of sick because I'd just eaten dinner and frankly, I was too full for dessert. So, already Valentine's Day is making me sick. I worked a wafer-thin icing spatula around the edges but still some of the hearts came out resembling actual human hearts. I proceeded to frost them pink regardless of their sad appearance. Tomorrow I will send Jeremiah off to daycare with these things. They're a bit of an abomination but they still taste good, like so many abominations. Just like the kids get into this weird holiday, I've no doubt they'll joyfully gobble up the broken hearts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only girl who thinks VD is a bunch of nonsense! We just exchange cards but even that's stupid because they never really say how I feel so it's like, here - have a piece of paper that inadequatley describes my love your you. lame. Oh well, I guess, much like your cookies, it's the thought that counts.

FlapScrap said...

I so LOATHE the corporate passive aggression of VD. Jude and I used to have a rule that any VD gifts must be stolen. That was fine until we ran out of harmless theft ideas (how many mixed CDs of Pirate Bay love song downloads does one need?). So now we just skip it. In the future maybe we'll evolve toward actually doing hateful things on VD in an effort to hasten its demise.

LMP said...

Didn't St. Valentine write letters to prisoners? Maybe we could do that instead of willing participating in price-gouging on roses. "Dear guy in Gitmo, I am sorry to hear you're being held indefinitely without a formal charge or access to an attorney or a proper toilet. Enclosed please find a copy of the tenants of the Geneva Convention. xoxox, "

The Plaid Sheep said...

Not to mention that the man was martyred on this day. Kinda creepy really...

FlapScrap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FlapScrap said...

We could write:

Dear Terrorist,

It takes one to know one, right?

Be Mine (guess you already are),
US Material Supporter

Anni said...

I totally forgot Monday was VD at Cyrus's day care. He was supposed to wear red and bring something for the other kids' gift bags. I had 3 meetings, a talk, and mother in law all weekend and so did not get the memo on this "VD at day care" thing. He showed up empty handed in a yellow shirt and green pants. He scored some candy, a heart cookie, and cute little cards from the more organized mom, though! (luckily the other mom forgot, too.) and at the last minute Ben topped him off with a red vest after I'd run off to my meeting.