Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pictures are coming

I've been avoiding posting because I wanted to include pictures - pictures of our weekend with my folks, pictures of the house progress. Our camera has been set to some mysterious f-stop (someone tiny is either a menace or a prodigy...the difference is often indiscernible) and our photos are all screwy of late. So here's a verbal update on the goings on.

The house is coming along. There was some time there during which the ceiling in the kitchen was just gone and plastic sheeting hung throughout the room. It made me think of when they came to take E.T. away. The room opened up into the new attic, 9' above the 9' ceiling - nothing but rafters and a constant breeze. The noise and the wind moved the plastic sheeting around in such a way that we couldn't sleep that night. It sounded like there were voices whispering in the kitchen. They were saying "you are crazy to spend all this money on a house that was already perfectly livable. You will probably starve now and your children will never get to participate in extra-curricular activities of any kind". The temporary ceiling is now up and the sheeting is gone for the time-being so I'm less tormented.

Mom and Dad were here for the weekend. Everyone took Friday off to go to the aquarium. Everyone but me. I missed the sea lions being fed for a few meetings. Oh well, at least Jeremiah got lots of pictures. (D'oh!). I was on hand for our visit to the zoo on Sunday. The weather was perfect for that - cool, but sunny so the animals were frisky. The zoo is featuring naked mole rats at the moment. The signs are up everywhere. I think they should have giant, flashing, neon signs that state "NAKED MOLE RATS!!!" and "ALL NAKED, ALL THE TIME!" They are, however, more the Clermont Lounge kind of naked than the cheetah kind of naked if you know what I mean. (Yikes)
The new door from the kitchen to the new screened porch (not yet screened in) should arrive and be installed today. That's exciting stuff because the current window has all the trim removed and it's been cold here. The kitchen is freezing. I will get photos. If I have to lie, cheat or steal my family will never be photoless again! (Stay tuned for said photos and narrative on exactly what I had to do to get them).

7 comments:

*pal said...

"the Clermont Lounge kind of naked [rather] than the cheetah kind of naked if you know what I mean" - oh yes. yes i do.

jdrueke said...

Or single malt naked vs. PBR naked. One is a pleasant buzz, the other gives me gas.

FlapScrap said...

I read the comment above and, rather inexplicably, decided to google

naked PBR gas

result:

Brick Weekly: Where Richmond, VA goes for entertainment - The Hole

LMP said...

WOW. Coincidence? I think not.

Brooklyn Volunteer said...

I frequented the Hole in Mobile, AL during college. Original name for a bar, huh?

Is there sand in your camera???

FlapScrap said...

Now I'm going to google the keywords in your post title: pictures coming

Will keep you posted.

Uncle Steve said...

Your "NAKED MOLE RATS!!! ALL NAKED, ALL THE TIME!" sign should also include something about "FREE BEER". Just sayin'. But then I specialize in the Clermont Lounge kinda naked...