Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Sisters

Someday, probably sooner than I'd like, the girls will realize that there are, in fact, enough bedrooms in this house for them each to have their own. They will begin making demands. They might even be a little put out that we made them share in the first place, I don't know. Tonight, though, I've just tucked them in for the their long winter's nap. I walked straight down the hall to the office and am sitting here by the light of the computer, listening to them talking together in the dark.

Monkey is curled up under Kate's comforter. "Sarah, " Kate said "there's something small, breathing and not human in my bed with me!" [giggles] They've been chatting about school and their feet and who is making more noise and keeping the other one awake. It's sister chatter. It's one of the big reasons I'd always wished for a sister. They have no idea how precious their non-sense is, but I am basking in it.

"Sarah, what are you doing?"
silence
"Sarah can't you answer me? Are you like Ariel who lost her voice? No one wants to be in that movie with her. Sarah? Sarah?"
"I'm just-"
"Sarah SHUSH I'm trying to go to sleep!"

Ah, yes. Sister chatter.

2 comments:

karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
karen said...

Our boys figured out that they share the SMALLEST bedroom in our house a while ago and have since been lobbying to get into a bigger one. Granted each is likely to be asking to have it for himself but we're going to move them into it together. Brother chatter is equally as endearing as sister chatter and (my own favorite reason) this way only one bedroom will consistently be a total disaster. :)