Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Danger

I look in the bathroom mirror and spotted the tip of a tiny blonde head standing behind me. I turned around to find Sarah standing there, wide-eyed. "Good morning, beautiful girl!" I exclaimed moving to hug her. "Mom" she said, putting a hand up. "I have to tell you something." I stepped back. When she was certain she had my full, serious attention, she continued -

"Do not give me any Emergen-C or vitamins right now. It's very dangerous, you see..." I waited. "It's very dangerous because, because, because..." I waited some more. Sarah doesn't stutter but she can take an awfully long time to spit it out. "Because, you shouldn't get too close to me. It's very dangerous, you see, because..." For pity's sake. "Because I have...." I stood silently. Blinking. "Because I have the hiccups." She broke out into a huge smile, hiccuped for real, then giggled for quite some time while I inflicted my hug on her, insisting a hug can cure hiccups. It didn't.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Know what works? Rolling around on the floor. Makes them giggle, and rearranges the air intake/output in such a way that it cures the hiccups. Where's my Nobel?

Uncle Steve said...

I had no idea hiccups were dangerous. I will be far more careful around them now.

sunglasseshurtmynose said...

Hiccup is my middle name.