Sunday, April 03, 2011

(I Wish) Every Day Is Like Sunday

After a full week of stormy, raw weather, we were granted a reprieve in the way of a stunning, sunny, warm weekend. Yesterday was very windy, but it was warm and the sun was out and, subsequently, so were we. Today we decided we should hit the trail to celebrate the less windy, even warmer weather. So we headed west to Sweetwater Park, a mere 2 and 1/2 hours after declaring we were leaving. I remember when I used to decide to do something, and then, moments later, go do that thing. Those days are gone. Anyway, off we went.

Last year, in her 3-year-old class, Sarah had a good friend named Lily. This year, Lily went to a different school and we haven't seen her since last summer. Until today. We were headed toward the trail when I heard Sarah say "I see Lily." She still talks about Lily a lot, often naming worms and other exciting bugs after her, so I thought she was kidding. Lily lives a little over a mile from us in Kirkwood and we never run into her, but I turned around and sure enough, there she was with her family in parking lot at the trailhead at Sweetwater. So we hiked with them. It was a lot of fun.

Then we came home and the girls played with little Aiden next door, in his sandbox, while I found new homes for my hasta and lamb's ear around the garden. I don't have pictures of the kids playing, but I think my neighbor Charlie, who was also working in his yard, did take a couple.

Then Sarah built this castle with her blocks.Then Steve and Joy came for dinner, and threw the children about like badminton shuttle cocks.It was, by nearly all accounts, a good day. It turns out Lily has a cat named Max, so it was touch and go for a few moments there, but we all pulled through.

No comments: