Saturday, January 27, 2007

Feats of strength and yeast

Last night we enjoyed a generous Christmas gift from our friends Rusty and Jennifer and, along with them, Eric and Raigan and Steve and Joy, we all went to Cirque du Soleil. I'd never been. It was delightful. I imagine it's much like what Twin Peaks would've been like minus the murder, drug abuse and child molestation. But still - midgets and weird dream sequences. As we were leaving Jeremiah and I agreed we should really be expecting more out of Kate's YMCA gymnastics classes. She's had, like, 11 of them now. I've yet to see her hang from a giant chandelier 15' above the ground by the back of her skull. Although, in all fairness, we typically use the 50 minutes she's in class to work out and don't watch her.

After far too few hours of sleep, I was off to enjoy another gift! Jeremiah got me a gift certificate to take a 4 hour class on baking breads and making soups for my birthday. In a very different way, it was as enjoyable as Cirque du Soleil. Taught by Cordon Bleu chef Doris Koplin, the class filled with the desire to bake bread non-stop. Doris was a delight and the bread was easily the best bread I've ever tasted. That's not just hyperbole for blogging sake. That was some good damn bread. I'm making more tomorrow.

4 comments:

The Plaid Sheep said...

It is very satisfying to make one's own bread. I should probably be doing more of it these days.

FlapScrap said...

I got some raisin english muffins at safeway today for $1.39. I took them home and had two of them; I toasted them on 3.5 and then added some butter. I found it very relaxing and satisfying. I like to put them in the toaster during a commercial and try to get back to the bed with them before my show comes back on.

Keith said...

I like to cook toast.

Anonymous said...

Kicking N. Screaming, since you know where I work,please let me partake in your bread! I'll be there on Monday (flu seems to have 'almost' gone)...

I must make an effort to go to the Cirque du Soleil, one day. It looks fun. Did you take photos, were photos even allowed to be taken?