Thursday, February 01, 2007

Rainy Days and Bad Roofing Always Get Me Down

Today it is cold and rainy outside. The children were bundled up sweetly to make the trek to daycare. As you can see, my shorty Kate is ready for her audition with the Beastie Boys. Dank hat, boo! *

So, off the girls went with their father, leaving me in the dining room to attack a day's work in peace. Got my pot o' coffee, the news on the NPR, my little laptop and a bevy of demands from the office world. I'm good to go. Then I heard it. Not a rap, tap, tapping on my chamber door, no, more of a drip, drip dripping on my kitchen flo' (I don't know why, but it seemed like that should rhyme.)

I warily looked in the kitchen to see...yes...it's raining in there. What an exciting home feature! I can't imagine why the realtor would've left "indoor waterfall" off the description of the house. See? There's a big crack in the ceiling -

The good news is, the water was falling in and around the booster seat Kate occupies when she creates her works of art she calls "dining". So, half the work of mopping the area - the part where you get it all wet - was done for me. Like our stalwart Vice President, I'm a "glass half full" kinda gal. Actually, it's even better than that. Right about now that trashcan I took out of the bathroom and stuck under the drip is half full. If it were only a glass, I'm sure my cup would overflowith.

*Mad props to my peeps Rusty and Jennifer for the Slang Flashcards, without which this sentence would not be possible. Holla!

11 comments:

The Plaid Sheep said...

Bummer. At least the leak isn't over your bed. That would really suck. (I am knocking on wood as I write that.)

Anonymous said...

If it's not one thing, it's another!

Brooklyn Volunteer said...

This is awful - good luck to y'all. And please no more Carpenter references

LMP said...

Well, I'd only just begun with the Carpenters references but since you asked I'll be sure to insist on a kind of hush all over the world. Whatever it takes, my dear Brooklyn Volunteer, to be close to you...

Keith said...

What? A leak?? You're going to need to rip the entire back off the house and replace it with a well-planned, two story addition ... pronto.
BTW, the jokes in that last comment were weak and thin.

FlapScrap said...

What? A leak?? I heard about it from Tim Russert.

*pal said...

the veep is a "half glass full" kind of guy...at least so says the monkey in the white house.

Brooklyn Volunteer said...

I'm vomitting just like ol' Karen

jdrueke said...

Weak and thin, just like Karen Carpenter.

Keith said...

I think "dank" is only used as a positive when it is being used to describe the state of one's "Mary Jane", yo. Maybe consult your flashcards again.

LMP said...

dank adj 1. very good, excellent; COOL. Note: commonly used in the phrase "Diggity dank!" cool

From - http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/d.html

Take THAT, old man!