Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Child Labor

In response to my post about my baking problem, Chaotic Joy said:

I absolutely can't comprehend this. Your kids are the same age as my little ones. How do you find all this time to bake? I can't even get dinner on the table each night without becoming a frazzled mess because Clara attaches herself to my leg. I am in awe.

It is indeed the case that I spent much of the weekend holding Sarah in one arm while dumping ingredients into bowls with the free hand. But the best thing to do with roving children while trying to get something done is - put them to work*.


*Children are gross, don't put them to work without first subjecting them to lots and lots of soap and water.

8 comments:

Uncle Steve said...

Dang, that little Sarah is SO formal! If that's what she wears to cook in, what will she be wearing to dine? I can only imagine what she must think when I show up for dinner in street clothes. "Uncle Steve perhaps you'd like to enjoy yet another malt beverage...out in the garage?"

Chaotic Joy said...

Ohhhh, my heart. Your little santa Sarah helping you make cookies is so cute I can actually feel my ovaries aching. You are a super mama if you get your 18 month old to help you make cookies. Ben helps all the time, but Clara is banned.

Keith said...

QUICK! Post a picture of Sarah encrusted in mucus and poo so CJ's ovaries settle down!

LMP said...

I'm pretty sure she's encrusted in those things in this shot. That's why the formal wear - it covers most of that up pretty well.

karen said...

I cannot believe you enter the kitchen wearing a white (or as close to white as I'd ever dare) top, let alone cook something while wearing it! Spill some wine on that shirt would you? Otherwise, I'm likely to start calling you Martha.

Anonymous said...

Seems to me this 'baking train' is running full steam ahead...

Is it stopping any time soon?

LMP said...

Karen - I have to confess - this photo was shot immediately after we returned from the godforsaken mall where the girls met Santa. At that point, the dough for the butterhorns had chilled and was ready to bake. Prior to that...we were all in our PJs until around 2PM.

Brooklyn Volunteer said...

White shirts are a mom's best friend - flour, milk, sugar and spit up blend in quite nicely.
Do the girls help Jeremiah with the bbq and grilling????