Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Tree decorating and a diagnosis

At last, at last we finished decorating our Solstice/Christmas Tree. ( I guess insisting on referring to it as the Solstice Tree is sort of like calling Istanbul Constantinople.) We'd do a bit here and bit there but frankly, we had a lot of other crap to do. Joy came by for Tuesday night dinner, which Steve missed again due to some public meeting regarding the design of a park blah blah blah. While I was cooking in the kitchen, she took Kate into the living room to slap some dang balls on the tree we've sacrificed and dragged into the house.

Kate placed her special ornament, and Sarah's on her behalf, and then plowed ahead with anything Joy would hand her. I gave up cooking and starting taking pictures. Jeremiah plopped down in a chair with a beer while his kid decorated the tree for him. This is why we had them, afterall. As Kate found her rhythm of choosing an ornament, then sticking it on (the very same branch every time) the tree Joy said "Wow, Kate, I think you've got the swing of it!" to which, cryptically, Kate replied "I think you've got the flu."

It came out of nowhere and we laughed and laughed. Later, after both kids were in bed and we'd finished eating dinner Joy said "I'm going to be so mad if I get the flu".

3 comments:

FlapScrap said...

I've got a mysterious bump on my head I'd like her to take a look at.

The Plaid Sheep said...

I see, it's all clear now, why you had kids. Child labor. Just like my folks. Think what they would have had to pay to plant all those pine trees. You may never have to decorate again.

LMP said...

This is certainly our goal. Sarah's fondness for the vacuum cleaner bodes especially well, I think.