Sunday, December 30, 2007

Things that don't work

As most of you probably know, Georgia is in the midst of a serious drought. That being said, the steady rains of the past few days are, by and large, a welcome thing. However. It's raining in my kitchen. I mean REALLY raining. We have had a leak over the peninsula for some time but we're about to begin construction on a small addition and kitchen remodel that involves tearing the roof off the sucka so we've ignored it. Plus, it hasn't rained in months. But now it's not just raining there. It's raining in the entire back left portion of the room. That started today. I'm pleased it waited until today so I was able to enjoy my birthday yesterday (always my favorite day of the year) without worrying that the back portion of the roof is about to collapse on us. The weather sensed my birthday has ended. The place is soaked. We're thinking - tarp. Hopefully we can get that applied before we have to start thinking - hotel.

It's not just that, though. After the kicthenaid died, so did the garbage disposal. We paid a guy from Sears $65 to come out, take a look at it and inform us it's ancient and the motor did, indeed, die of old age. The water from the filter on the fridge won't come out. The cabinet that used to contain the slide-out trash can has been utterly destroyed courtesy of Lola. Not that this is all that important at the moment, but the brand new lawn mower we bought last summer worked exactly twice and now refuses to start. No, it's not the spark plugs. The top strand of lights on the Christmas tree died. And now that we've plugged in our fabulous new iMac (which, to my delighted surprise, works!) my wireless is no longer working. My iPod is not working. I am weary of things not working.

Perhaps it is a message that I should throw up my hands in surrender, and go sit in the living room by the partially lit Christmas tree and read, enjoying the gentle pitter patter of the raindrops on my...crap, grocery list. OK, maybe I won't be reading just yet. Tomorrow, when we've figured out how to navigate our fancy new machine, and assuming it's still working, I'll attempt to get some more Christmas photos loaded on this here blog.

4 comments:

karen said...

Invite Epiphany & Co. down for a visit. You'll forget all about how awful your kitchen is when Lin poops on the floor - trust me. It took me weeks to enter the kitchen without grinning about the ghost of Lin standing over the poop spot. I forgot to think of anything else in that room for a good long while!

Keith said...

You're the one who decided to marry the pretty boy.

Although, he is very pretty ...

Tell us all more about this "Macintosh" computing machine. Is it really as strange and wondrous as we've all heard? Can it replace a garbage disposal motor?

LMP said...

-Karen, I DID invite Epiphany & Co down...I wasn't thinking about the floor-pooper than, though, maybe I should take some cautionary measures before they arrive.

-rfkeith - According to my Mac-obsessed brother this thing will do that and MORE. I went for the machine assuming he's right. If he's not, I'll be sure to mail a paper bag of Lindsay's poop from my kitchen floor to him.

Keith said...

You could upload that to my FTP serv. That load probably makes a "fffftp" sound anyways ...