Friday, April 10, 2009

Hidden Cove

Yesterday I had jury duty. That's bad. We were released early, though! That's good. I had a ton of work to do so I went home and spent the remainder of the day working. That's bad and kind of good, because now that work is done, which it wouldn't be if I'd spent the day deciding someone's fate.

It was gorgeous outside and since I'd spent so much time indoors working I decided I'd take the girls to a kid-sized nature trail instead of bringing them home from daycare. I picked up smoothies and some Kid Clif Bars and went to spring them from daycare. To my delight, they were extremely enthusiastic about my plan. We headed over to Hidden Cove park. It's right by the YMCA, behind what used to be the Westchester school (it's administrative offices now). My plan was to keep them looking at flora and fauna for about an hour. It went well at first, but then they spotted the playground behind the old school and the fauna could kiss their behinds for all they cared.

Except...I let them climb down into the creek by the little waterfall. The swings are enticing, but permission to risk life and limb wins hands down. We frolicked on the rocks and touched the slimy algae and looked for toads. We collected a few more kids, too. Then Jeremiah joined us and taught other people's children to call each other "dooty", "pee pee" and "booty". Then sent them all home with their parents. It takes a village.

It was a wonderful way to spend the early evening, even though it wound the kids up way more than it wore them down.

2 comments:

FlapScrap said...

Can't wait to see them in the Fall. I'm going to teach them how to make booger and earwax candles, so give them each a mason jar and tell them to start saving up.

LMP said...

Well, I guess that's our karma.