Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lucky for her she's so cute

The other day, while picking Sarah and Kate up from daycare I saw Third Avenue neighbors Pam & Chad with their wee bitty son, Henry. They'd come in together with him to pick up their 3-year-old, Ella. They looked like you'd expect the parents of a pre-schooler and a 3-week-old to look. One of the other moms, upon hearing Pam comment on how tired she is, said "oh, you've got quite a few more months of that!" Now, is that really necessary?

It could be correct but Kate, having worn herself out from 8 weeks of incessant screaming, started sleeping all night when she was 2 months old and has never stopped. "Sarah's started sleeping though the night." I offered in an attempt to comfort them. She had. She was doing pretty well. She was in the stroller next to me when I said it (Kate was keeping careful guard announcing repeatedly to anyone who dared enter the hallway "DON'T TOUCH MY SARAH!") When Sarah heard me say this she took immediate action - she has been careful not to sleep all night once since.

She screams. One of us runs up the stairs and starts small (re-insert pacifier), gradually works up to medium (remove her from her crib and rock for a bit) and ultimately ends up large (take her to bed with us because we are too spent to stand or even sit up a moment longer and she's still just wiggling and grinning away.) Once that happens, I no longer sleep at all because somehow Sarah always manages to inch her way into me and I spend the night clinging desperately to the very edge of the bed afraid to go entirely to sleep for fear of accidentally getting comfortable and subsequently crushing her. I have tried moving her over. She moves back. I find this fascinating considering she cannot yet roll over. I don't know how to break this habit of ours, but if I don't get some sleep soon I'm going lose control and do something rude, like snap at a fellow mommy who would say something so disheartening to another mommy like "there is no respite!" Meanwhile, is there no respite???

1 comment:

Lady Epiphany said...

Yeah. I hate when they do stuff like that.

Check out Ask Moxie. Her perspective about infant sleep is great, if just to assure it gets better, because it really does get better.