Friday, December 22, 2006

A very merrry solstice to you!

Ah, the celebration of the longest night...it's 9:30 and we're ready for bed (the night will go on without us). Our first official solstice celebration was lovely. Jeremiah made the chili and I think it was his best work to date. Kate made the cornbread, also a smashing success.

I did not capture any images of Kate opening the solstice "earthy" gift on behalf of her sister and her, but I wish I had, just for the scene of her going to town on the wrapping paper. When she finally got through the paper and into the box and found it was the birdhouse pictured here, she didn't get it right away. She continued to look in the box for something good, tossing packing paper out behind her as she searched intently in the box.

I had anticipated that and so wasn't terribly disappointed. We explained that the birdhouse attaches to her window, and she'll be able to watch the birds nesting in it. Then, to illustrate the birdhouse in use, Jeremiah attached it to the living room window. We were pretty sure she still wouldn't care and in fact, would continue to be apathetic until an actual bird shows up at her window. However, once the birdhouse was up, she said "come on birds! Come in!" And that made my night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Er, Kate, can I please have some cornbread?

My address is...

The Plaid Sheep said...

I wonder if I could get away with such a birdhouse? It would be partly hidden by the fire escape after all. The cats would love it.

LMP said...

I was actually thinking of putting some sort of cushioning on the window because I'm reasonably certain Max is going to give herself a concussion when the birds move in. She spotted the birdhouse tonight and immediately went into pounce stance even though the thing is empty. Oh Max...you're so pretty.