Saturday, October 04, 2008

The house is warm. Who will clean it?

Today's gathering lacks the pictures I think it deserves since, once everyone arrived, I sort of forgot to take pictures, but it was lovely. I love the way our house feels when it's filled with people. I like the hum of conversation, punctuated by laughter. My favorite thing about today, though, was the playroom. I wasn't in there all that much, but once all the kids arrived I could hear a non-stop cacophony from there, and giggles and general mayhem. This, I think, is exactly how a playroom should sound.

And Jeremiah's brisket, of course, is beyond. It's beyond. We made too much of everything (except the brownies and the 3-cheese crepes, they're gone so now I have no idea what we'll eat for breakfast) and now we will be eating brisket until Halloween. That, at least, makes weekly menu planning a breeze for awhile.




We had a delightful mix of people. My neighbors from either side of the house, who are all delightful, were there. Several of my co-workers made it, which is awesome because many of them live nowhere near me at all. The wonderful 3rd Ave gang made it. I force-fed them the mounds of food I'd prepared. I included tables of food on the tour of the house..."and here's the dining room, eat some food. Do it now..." and onto the kitchen, which was filled with eats, too. I'm impressed at how much was consumed at that non-dining time of day.To my dismay the chick I hired to come keep things clean and in order never showed up. I offered her $60 to spend 4 hours keeping the recycling in its proper bin and making sure the kitchen remained semi-tidy. You have to be pretty stinkin' high to pass up on such easy money. Not to mention, we'd have fed her and let her just hang out drinking wine. I guess times aren't as hard as we thought they were. Fortunately Joy, Steve and my friends Cindy and Jessica were easily persuaded to do for free the tasks for which I'd offered to pay that silly lass. Except for the fact that, while distracted by my attempts to visit with guests, I burned an entire sheet of sliced baguette for bruschetta, everything was fine. And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go pass out.

Lola detects the scent of smoked meat. Perhaps if she just sits pretty and looks sweet...

6 comments:

Boomin' Granny said...

Looks like a great time was had by all. Wish we could have been there!

*pal said...

Sorry I missed the fun, and the prize for "who traveled the farthest..." It looks beautiful, and I'm glad you all had such a wonderful time.

Brooklyn Volunteer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooklyn Volunteer said...

Is his brisket beyond Lightning Barack's?!?!
Laura

LMP said...

Thank-you for recognizing my Sarah Silverman homage.

Brooklyn Volunteer said...

Yo - Oy. I watch funnyordie.com more than regular tv. It's very important to me.