Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Jig is UP

So we're on our way home from daycare today and the neighbors are out en masse hastily adding the finishing touches to their front yard faux spider web master pieces before Go Time. The heightened activity in the `hood led to much slower traffic on the streets. As I paused on Fayettville Road to wait for some nice people to cross Kate bellowed out "MOVE! Come on, move, people, you're makin' my sister sad!" I laughed when she said that and took a peek in the back seat at her. She was sitting, shoes removed, in her pink velveteen, fur-cuffed dress and tiara, one leg stretched out on the back of the seat in front of her and the other hanging free - very un-princesslike.

She glared at me and said, with just the right amount of petulance, "What are you laughin' at?" I laughed again (who could help it?) and said "I'm laughing at you, you're funny!" she glared at me again and said "but you're supposed to laugh with me, not at me!"

So true. I always wondered when she'd figure out that we had her for our own amusement.

8 comments:

Keith said...

I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing about you.

sunglasseshurtmynose said...

I'm not laughing at you; I'm just very ashamed of you.

*pal said...

I think Lucille Ball must have come back as Kate.

Uncle Steve said...

I'm not laughing at you... oh wait, yes I am.

LMP said...

Ah *PAB, what you do not realize is that with one simple sentence you just became Grammy Margie's new favorite person.

FlapScrap said...

I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at Keith.

Anonymous said...

im not laffn at you im boogy dancn

Aunt So-So said...

I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing at YOU.