Sunday, November 18, 2007

Bread

It's been a bread-making day. First, I made the buttermilk whole wheat loaf for sandwiches. The girls ate about half of it. Sarah learned of reason 4,781 to go on living, which is Nutella.


Joy was there while Sarah was covering her entire face with the tasty chocolaty-hazel nutty spread. She was watching as Jeremiah photographed the moment. "For some reason," she commented, "chocolate always seems to look like blood in pictures."



I think if this looked like blood it would be a lot less gross.


Before I made the pizza dough for tomorrow night's dinner (after much trial and error, Jeremiah has mastered the grilled pizza), I made my very first attempt at bagels. First, I made the sponge, which is exciting because it just gets so huge and gooey. Then, the dough, which I finally had to remove from the stand mixer when the kitchen began to smell of electrical fire. I kneaded it the rest of the way by hand. Then, I formed a baker's dozen of 4.5oz little balls. Then, I poked holes in said balls. Now, they are retarding in the refrigerator. Here are my retarded bagels to date:


Tomorrow morning, instead of walking Lola (sorry Lola) I will drop them each into a pot of boiling water for a couple minutes, and then bake them. And then, if all has gone well...I will eat them. I will keep you posted on my progress. I'm excited. I might even eat them with a bit of Nutella. I'm sure Sarah will join me.

3 comments:

Boomin' Granny said...

Will there be bagels for Thanksgiving??
Sarah looks delicious but how will you make sandwiches if the girls ate half the bread?

LMP said...

We have to make them open-faced sandwiches.

Uncle Steve said...

uh...that don't look like blood. Just sayin'