Friday, November 03, 2006

Favorites, Volume 1

In the two days I've been out of commission the house has gone from "pretty messy" to "OH MY GOD IS EVERYONE ALRIGHT IN HERE!?!" I can tell I'm starting to feel better because I'm beginning to obsess about it. My annoying fever didn't break until around noon today so it was extra nice that my loving spouse stayed home to take care of me (under duress, but still).

Just as Jeremiah was getting the girls into the car to take them to daycare Kate laid her head on his shoulder and wept "No daycare! Want to go upstairs and lie down!" We exchanged raised eyebrows. She's good at the con, that one, but this was above and beyond. Additionally, there are enormous purple circles around her eyes and her skin has taken on a skim-milk tone. I've been so paranoid about giving the kids my plague that I've gone all Howard Hughes on the place and I'm still nervous about touching the babies. So, positive I'd infected her, we let Kate stay home. She did go upstairs but she did not lie down. She set about tearing the place apart like a rock star, chatting and sometimes even singing, while doing it.

The day has not been as relaxing and undemanding as I'd hoped. The highlight was when Jeremiah bought me these wonderful little vaporizing shower tablets. Which brings me the point of all this - since I have to post each day this month I think I'll share a few of my favorite things (Go to hell, Oprah, anyone can steal from the Sound of Music), and since this blog is about the kids, they'll be things directly related to parenting. These are related to parenting because they allowed me to breathe for at least 45 minutes after the shower and subsequently, actually do some brief parenting today. The shower was only mildly relaxing since Kate kept coming in the bathroom, ripping open the shower curtain and announcing "mommy's takin' a shower!" and her daddy was there to agree with her because he's a total peeping tom. Even with both of them in the tiny bathroom, there was still room for the dog (Lola thinks that, just like jello, there's always room for the dog). None-the-less, it made life slightly better. Aside from the fact that I had to keep my eyes closed for the first few minutes or the tablet made them burn and water, my main complaint is that the tablet didn't last the full 3 hours I'd planned to stand in the steamy water.

1 comment:

The Plaid Sheep said...

Ah, isn't that the best when you feel bad and stuffy? Just standing there in the steam? I love it. As a suggestion, you could buy some essential oil, (they sell it at Whole Foods) make yourself a mix and put some drops in the shower. You'd only need a few drops and you could add a bit as you go along. I would suggest Eucalyptus, peppermint and rosemary. Mmmm, clarity. (It can also go in the humidifier tray.)